THE PERRYMAN RANCH
The Perryman Ranch was established before Oklahoma statehood and is the Creek allotment of Mose S. Perryman, son of Tulsa's "First Family," George and Rachel Perryman. The ranch is owned by Robert Trepp, Wally Trepp and Tom Trepp - sons of Monetta Trepp and great grandsons of Mose Perryman.
ranch contains the 100 year old homestead, the original barn, the sweet
water well, and outbuildings. An event pavilion has been added in
In the fall of 1878, the Post Office Department extended its service from Fort Smith, Arkansas to the Sac and Fox agency in Indian Territory where Tulsa's first post office was officially established on March 25, 1879. Josiah Chouteau Perryman became the first postmaster - the post office was located in brother George Beecher Perryman’s house, near what would later become 41st Street and Trenton Avenue in Tulsa.
That post office is now relocated to the
ranch homestead for preservation.
Driving around the greater Tulsa area, one cannot help but notice the Perryman name attached to various points of interest and historic areas. A ranch, cemetery, a memorial highway and granite marker indicating the location of the city’s first official post office all carry the Perryman name.
Benjamin Perryman signed the 1833 US-Creek Treaty which set tribal boundaries in the Indian Territory, and served as Second Chief of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation. Legus Choteau Perryman, born in March of 1838, served as the Principal Chief of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation from 1887 to 1895. Joseph Perryman was also Principal Chief and then served as Chairman of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation Board of Education. George Perryman signed the original 1898 Charter for the "Town" of Tulsa. The family’s many achievements ultimately helped shape not only the great city of Tulsa, but the neighboring Muskogee (Creek) Nation as well.